Quilt 2 - 2011 'Colour, Logic and Lunacy'
While I was working on the Vasarely quilt I bought RaNae Merrill´s book 'Simply
Amazing Spiral Quilts'. Wow! This was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for and
my next project was very much inspired by her book. I also treated myself to a 30
year old Bernina Record from eBay since I was rather enjoying this patchwork lark.
I used the same series of batiks as before and although I at first sketched the whole
quilt by hand I decided it would be best to teach myself EQ6, not to enable me to draw
and print the individual blocks but to ensure that I spun them all in the right
direction and got the colours to exactly match up correctly. The 168 blocks themselves
were hand drawn, photocopied and then paper pieced. There are over 8000 pieces
and 72 different colours. I sewed the blocks together from the centre outwards having
first quilted them in easily manageable sections of 4 blocks at a time. Once they were
all sewn together I simply added a backing fabric and stitched in the ditch between all
the blocks with invisible thread to hold it all together. At the time I doubted I would
ever be mad enough to spend anything like 1200 hours on a single project again and
this was the source of the "lunacy" part of the title. As it turns out I suspect that I
have actually come dangerously close a couple of times since !
Click thumbnails on the right to enlarge.